Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Yum-boli Stromboli

Okay that is so cheesy, I know, but seriously it just fits.  This freezer meal is fabulous.  We made this recipe several months ago for our first freezer meal night, but ours didn't turn out so well.  Almost all of our cheese oozed out, the center caved in and the dough cooked unevenly. This go around, we split our family's portion into two smaller servings.  My sister also suggested that we tuck each of the ends under to help keep the cheese in.  It worked fantastically.  This dish will please the kiddos, and can be made for a regular meal any night of the week, not just to freeze for later use. 

Disfruta!

Yum-boli Stromboli
(multiplied original recipe by 5 for 5 families)
Source:  My sister Ali

Ingredients:

5 loaves Rhodes bread dough
1.5 lbs thinly sliced deli ham
2 lbs sliced pepperoni
2 lbs sliced provolone cheese
¾ cup shredded parmesan cheese
1.5 lbs shredded mozzarella cheese
5 tsp garlic powder
5 tsp dried oregano
1 ¼ tsp dried parsley flakes
1 ¼ tsp pepper

5 egg yolks, beaten (needed as a fresh ingredient when ready to serve; note- only 1 per family serving)

Instructions:

Let dough rise until doubled in size.  Roll loaf into a 15” x 12” rectangle (Note- several of us made this into two servings for our family, so we made (2) smaller rectangles). 



Optional step- pretend to eat the dough.  I'm certain it must add some character to the dough.  It worked for us...

 Arrange meats and cheeses down the middle of the rectangle dough, careful not to go too close to the edges.  Sprinkle each layer with spices. 

Fold dough around meat and seal pressing down together on seams and ends.  (We also tucked the ends under for an extra seal to avoid the cheese from melting out when baking). 

See Ali's stromboli on the right for how she pinches it shut once the insides are filled.

To freeze:

Wrap loaf with plastic wrap, and then foil.  Freeze immediately to avoid dough from rising any more. 

To serve:

Defrost in fridge the day prior to serving.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Beat together egg yolk, and brush over top of loaf.  Bake for 25-30 min on greased cookie sheet or pizza stone.  Slice loaves on a diagonal and serve with fresh marinara sauce and ranch. 


Yum-boli!

3 comments:

  1. ok, you are in serious trouble, 3 meals eaten already, I have only had 2 tee hee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad it turned out better for you this time! I am eating mine tomorrow night. :)

    And that is the most hideous picture of me ever! hahaa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how it reminds me of a pizza pop. I love to have pizza pops with cheese in them. This is way healthier for you though. I'm going to make this for my mom for her birthday. I think it's a great gift. What better gift then to make your mom yummy food.

    -Zane of ontario honey

    ReplyDelete

I can't wait to hear from you! If you have any detailed questions, please feel free to email me- LittleMissPennyWenny@gmail.com. Thanks!